Warm Sausage & Kale Soup
(adapted from Rachael Ray and wineandglue.com)
This was so good.....a perfectly hearty and healthy soup. I only added a splash of white wine, which is my secret ingredient to almost anything. The flavors came together beautifully, and the kale really holds up. This is definitely in my winter meal rotation. Enjoy!!!
- 1.22 lb. package of Jennie-o Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like things spicy)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 bunch of kale, washed, stems removed, and ripped up
- 1/4 tsp of grated nutmeg
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup noodles (I use elbow or penne)
- 15 oz can Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and mushrooms, breaking up the mushrooms as you add them. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about five minutes.
- Toss in the kale, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until the kale is wilted, about five minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, and bring it to a boil. Then add the noodles and cook about a minute shy of the package directions.
- Toss in the beans, and stir in until they heat through.
- Serve with crusty bread and let it heat you up until you forget that its a wasteland of white out there.